Location: Fort Liberty, NC
Required Clearance: N/A
Check Defense is a fast-growing federal contractor seeking a qualified and experienced professional Grounds Maintenance- Laborer. The Grounds Maintenance- Laborer provides grass cutting, grounds maintenance services for the Range Control and Pope, Simmons, and Camp MacKall Army Airfield activities to include but not limited to cutting grass, using walking-type or riding mowers (less than 2000 lbs.), using hedge trimmers, clippers and edging tools, prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth, using shears and other hand tools, policing paper or other litter, and other general grounds maintenance of approximately 2,416 acres at Fort Liberty, North Carolina.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Mowing, trimming, cultivation, and maintenance of shrubs, trees, plants, and turf/grass on various locations.
- Wearing assigned safety gear (PPE) appropriately and following OSHA mandated protocols.
- Perform equipment maintenance and safety inspections prior to daily use.
- Operate other implements such as mowers, weed eaters and trimmers to ensure range facilities are maintained.
- Mow grass to a uniform height without skips or gaps, taking precaution to prevent scalping, uneven mowing, rutting by equipment, and prevent damage to trees and shrubs.
- Utilize weed eater when area is inaccessible to push or power-driven mowers.
- Maintain equipment at the operator level which includes conducting before, during, and after operations checks for serviceability, applying lubrication IAW manufacturer equipment manuals, and ensuring equipment is turned in to higher-level maintenance for scheduled services.
- Report equipment breakdowns, schedule maintenance for all equipment and request additional equipment as needed.
- Follow installation safety regulations.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience as a Grounds Maintenance- Laborer.
- United States citizen.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid US issued Driver’s License.
- Ability to pass a background investigation.
- Entry level operator experience with mowing and trimming equipment.
- Strong interpersonal skills in a team-based development environment.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Experience working in both individually and in team groups all consistent with the organizational goals.
- Outdoors in various weather conditions
- Noise between 50db to 165db.
- Work in rough and remote terrain; in weather extremes such as thunderstorms, high heat, and humidity, severe cold and wind.
- Work in the proximity of unexploded ordinance.
- Work in the proximity of military training exercises.
- Exposure to stinging and biting insects, ticks, spiders, venomous snakes, poisonous plants, spines, and thorns.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Do repetitive tasks.
- Requires frequently standing, walking, sitting, and driving a motor vehicle.
- Required to climb or balance, stoop under or squat, kneeling, crouching, and able to move quickly and safely across all types of terrain.
- Able to reach with your hands and arms, talk, and hear.
- Lifting: frequently lift and move up to 70lbs.
- Vision: required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.