Location: Fort Liberty, NC
Required Clearance: N/A
Check Defense is a fast-growing federal contractor seeking a qualified and experienced professional Tractor Operator.The Tractor Operator provides grass cutting, grounds maintenance services for the Range Control and Pope, Simmons, and Camp MacKall Army Airfield activities to include, but not limited to mowing, bush hogging, policing, edging, trimming, and other general grounds maintenance of approximately 2,416 acres at Fort Liberty, North Carolina. The Tractor Operator will use tractors and cutting implements for vegetation control. The Tractor Operator may read and interpret grade and slope stakes and simple plans, and may grease, adjust, and make emergency repairs to equipment. Typical functions will include mowing operations and erosion control work.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Mowing, trimming, cultivation, and maintenance of shrubs, trees, plants, and turf/grass on various locations.
- Wearing assigned safety gear (PPE) appropriately and following OSHA mandated protocols.
- Safely operate gasoline or diesel-powered tractors to tow trailers and/or pull-out objects embedded in ground.
- Fasten attachments such as graders, plows, rollers, mowers (over 2000 lbs.), seeders, and disc harrows to tractor, adjust equipment for proper operation, lubricate and make minor repairs to tractor and attachments such as tightening bolts, and replacing washers, cotter pins, and screws.
- Operate equipment from one place to another, on both improved and unimproved roads in inclement weather conditions.
- Operate agricultural tractors with bat wing, side arm and related mowing implements in rough terrain.
- Perform equipment maintenance and safety inspections prior to daily use.
- Operate other implements such as mowers, weed eaters and chainsaws to ensure range facilities are maintained.
- Maintain equipment at the operator level which includes conducting before, during, and after operations checks for serviceability, applying lubrication IAW manufacturer equipment manuals, and ensuring equipment is turned in to higher-level maintenance for scheduled services.
- Report equipment breakdowns, schedule maintenance for all equipment and request additional equipment as needed.
- Follow installation safety regulations.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience as a Tractor Operator.
- United States citizen.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid US issued Driver’s License.
- Ability to pass a background investigation.
- Demonstrated operator-level experience with agricultural and medium machinery.
- Strong interpersonal skills in a team-based development environment.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Experience working in both individually and in team groups all consistent with the organizational goals.
- Outdoors in various weather conditions
- Noise between 140db to 165db.
- Work in rough and remote terrain; in weather extremes such as thunderstorms, high heat and humidity, severe cold and wind.
- Work in the proximity of unexploded ordinance.
- Work in the proximity of military training exercises.
- Exposure to stinging and biting insects, ticks, spiders, venomous snakes, poisonous plants, spines, and thorns.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Do repetitive tasks.
- Requires frequently standing, walking, sitting, and driving a motor vehicle.
- Required to climb or balance, stoop under or squat, kneeling, crouching, and able to move quickly and safely across all types of terrain.
- Able to reach with your hands and arms, talk, and hear.
- Lifting: frequently lift and move up to 70lbs.
- Vision: required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.